Texas Hold’em Poker is popular, wildly popular. When it is said that “poker is being played” you can almost assume that it is Texas Hold em, but that does not mean that everything is immediately clear to everyone. If you want to become a good Texas Hold’em Poker player, you have to know the game inside out and that means you have to know everything about poker. I’ll try to help you with that — as much as I can — and in this case I’m going to focus purely on the most popular poker variant out there: Texas Holdem. For example, I have a handy image for you with an overview of the poker hands and I have listed a number of frequently asked questions about Texas Hold’em Poker. Read on quick.
Playing Texas Holdem Poker in a nutshell
Texas Hold’em is by far the most played poker variant on the planet. However, the card game has been around for a while; this is how it would arise in the early years of the twentieth century in the American state of Texas (how could it be otherwise?). However, the game had a completely different name for it. When the game was brought to Las Vegas by poker legend Doyle Brunson in 1967, it was still known as Hold’em. Teas’ name would only be added at a later date. Initially, the game would only be played in the famous Golden Nugget casino in Las Vegas, but today it is different: today few casino games are as popular as poker.
Popular because of simplicity
This is partly due to the simplicity of the game. In the Texas Hold’em variant, the rules of the game are kept very simple. For both online and land-based casinos, that is reason to offer the game massively and that is why you will encounter the Texas Hold’em variant in every poker room. I find this variant the most practical for novice poker players. Since the game is relatively simple, it becomes easier to participate in Texas Hold’em — even if the speed is a bit higher.
Texas Hold’em for Beginners
Easy to learn game rules
The most successful games are often simple in design. The popularity of Texas Hold’em is largely due to its simplicity. The rules are easy to learn and make the game very accessible.
Texas Hold’em Rules in Brief
In short, it comes down to this: each player first gets two face down cards. Then the highest five card combination must be made with the five cards dealt to the table. This also automatically means that two of the seven cards are dropped per player. Because each participant gets different cards, it is also the case that different combinations can be made. The participant with the highest combination of course wins the pot.
In order for the game to start, two players must place a blind bet on each hand. That is also called the blind . After the hand is played, the blinds move up one spot. In this way, everyone at the table has a turn. There is always a small and a large bet. The small bet is also called the small blind and the big bet is therefore the big blind . Players may only view their own cards.
Second betting round
Five face-up cards are then dealt, after which the players may or may not increase their bet. This is the second betting round. You can also choose to fold, which is called folding . When the betting round is over, the dealer again places one card face down and one card face up on the table. This round is better called the turn .
Third final round
This is followed by another betting round, the third and final round. The final betting round proceeds in the same way as the second betting round. When the betting round is over, the dealer places one more card face down and one card face up, which is called the river . All contestants still in the game will eventually come to a showdown . It is at this point that the cards are shown publicly. The participant with the best hand wins the pot. The dealer passes the card deck to the player to his left. After this, the next hand begins and the above routine repeats.
The best hand rankings
A poker hand therefore consists of the best combination of five cards. The combination of these cards creates a certain strength of the hand. In order of strength (high to low), the following combinations are possible in Texas Hold’em poker:
- Royal Flush: combination of the 5 highest cards (ie Ace hog) in ascending order and of the same symbol (suit).
- Straight Flush: ascending order in the same suit.
- Four of a Kind: Four of the same cards, one of each suit.
- Full house: three of the same cards, combined with two other of the same cards.
- Flush: 5 cards of the same suit.
- Straight: 5 cards in ascending order but not the same suit.
- Three of a Kind: three of the same cards.
- Two pair: two pairs of two identical cards.
- One pair: one pair of the same cards.
- High card: This is actually not a real combination, so the highest card counts.
Poker tips for beginners
By practicing poker hard, you should get better and better. The poker tips below will help you familiarize yourself with the game:
- Note the role of positionNovice players often do not realize how important the position is at the table. And that’s a shame. The strength of a hand is largely dependent on the position at the table. The better the position, the better a hand is to play.
- Don’t play too many starting handsAs a starting player, play as few questionable cards as possible and limit yourself to the best starting hands. This will allow you to play many rounds without incurring major losses.
- Hopeless hand? don’t go any furtherOverestimation is life-threatening. Many players do not realize that their hand already has no chance and continue to hope for that one card in order to win. However, in poker you need to know when to give up a hand. Be sensible and know when to stop.
- Be realisticPictures give the impression that you have a good hand, but if the flop doesn’t provide the right complement, things could turn out very differently. Stop at times like this and just try again next time. Be patient and wait for your chance.
- Put pressure on the opponentOften there is too little pressure. Many players don’t make it too difficult for their opponents and therefore give up. However, try to put pressure on it. If you have a good hand, you also need to be willing to bet big — at least three times the blinds. This way you prevent fortune seekers from going along and having a chance at the pot. Deal with this doomsday scenario early and launch the attack at appropriate times. Be ruthless.
- Practice makes perfectYou learn poker by playing it often. Even the experienced players are constantly learning new things. It is precisely this knowledge that makes the game so intriguing. So just sit down at the table and play along. Observe other players and try to understand their motivations. Also read our detailed information, strategies and tips. The fact that practice makes perfect is true for few things as it is for Texas Hold’em poker
Strategies to win the hand
The fact that participants are not allowed to see each other’s cards creates both opportunities and threats. You can deceive players, but of course that also applies the other way around. Fortunately, you can use the strategies below to mislead your opponents.
You could also call this lying or seducing. In a bluff, the goal is to make the other player fold. You want to make others believe that you have a much stronger card. The so-called poker face plays a crucial role in this. The intention is therefore to be as convincing as possible, at all times. However, don’t let a nervous look or sweaty hands betray you. Many novices tend to play all cards, even a very bad one. A bluff can be seen through and that puts your credibility on the line. So the trick is to know when to bluff.
Not surprisingly, the so-called semi-bluff resembles the bluff above. The difference is that in the semi-bluff you do have good cards, but everything depends on the card that follows. You raise therefore advance the commitment to fold to make the opponent. Isn’t there folding? Then there’s still the next turn to try again.
The raise option can also help. Many players get panicky when the stakes get really high. If your opponent has less budget, they would have to go all-in to still be able to join. So it’s all or nothing, and not everyone is ready for that. Chances are that your opponent will have serious doubts about whether the last few cents should be wagered on this hand.
Suppose you have been dealt a good card from the dealer and are the first player to bet. You check instead of raising the bet. By doing this, you avoid other people noticing that you have a strong card. Now that the other players have raised, you can call and raise the bet. There is some risk involved with this strategy: if the first player checks, there is a good chance that other players will also check. In this way, each player gets a (free) second card, which increases the chance of a good hand.
Do you have good cards? Then the last thing you want is for everyone to turn in the cards. Therefore, try to keep the increases as low as possible. This prevents players from dropping out early and thus no longer contributing to a higher pot. During the last betting round, you can raise a lot to get the most out of it. Fold the opponent? Then you have at least won all previous bets. Want to know more about poker? Read more about online poker .
The importance of correct estimates
A little poker player understands the importance of the position. A player’s position is determined by proximity to the dealer button and should influence the mindset of every poker player. The later your position, the more information you can obtain. This will help you determine what to do with your own hand. Conversely, the earlier you position yourself, the harder it becomes to guess which cards your opponents are holding. Many novice players have a fairly aggressive playing style and in many cases that is to gain credibility. Once credibility has been gained, some gas can be withdrawn. To strike at the right time.
Play online poker for free
Various versions of Texas Holdem can be played for free on our site. Please note, some games are old and require flash. These usually don’t work on mobile unless you install a special browser. On a desktop you will get a popup to allow flash or to install.