If there is one table game that people like to play in a tournament, it is poker. Poker is (besides bingo of course) seen as a parlor game par excellence. Nevertheless, the fellow players at the table are immediately your direct opponents and you will have to do everything in your turn to put them on the wrong track. Fortunately, there is something in return, because the prize pools at the larger poker tournaments are not bad. Curious about which poker tournaments you can participate in? And which prize pools are included? We have listed them for you.
Online poker tournaments are not (yet) possible
As with many video slots, poker tournaments can be played for money, for ‘real money or for fun ‘for fun or honors’. In the Netherlands, we mainly see the latter, since the current Gambling Act makes it somewhat difficult to play for money. That is not allowed online anyway, since online poker is still prohibited despite the approval of the new gambling law. However, with the entry into force of the new gambling law in mid-2020, online poker will become legal and will therefore also be allowed to be played for money shortly.
Offline Poker Tournaments
If we look at offline poker tournaments, we see that there is also often played for fun or smaller prizes. For example, there are all kinds of restrictions in the field of organizing games of chance, and in this case in particular for poker. These have been imposed by the Gaming Authority (KSA) and as a result, many poker tournaments are organized for, for example, a medal, free drinks, or small prizes, but not so much for money.Or does that immediately mean that it is not possible to play for money at all? Anything but. For example, authorized parties are allowed to organize poker tournaments with large cash prizes, and Alberto Stegeman can talk about that. The journalist and presenter are also known as avid poker players and he won 240,183 dollars at the Master Classics of Poker Main Event of Holland Casino. Other well-known poker tournaments are:
In the Netherlands
- Master Classics of Poker: the most prestigious poker tournament in the Netherlands takes place every year: the Master Classics of Poker. And that is indeed the tournament where the same Stegeman had such a hit. The tournament started in 1992 and is now ready for the 27th edition (note: time-dependent provision).
- World Poker Deepstacks Series: Holland Casino is also the provider here and in this case, it takes place in the form of a three-day main event. For your image: for the 2019 edition (note: time-dependent provision) a buy-in of 1200 dollars applies. When high roller -event located on 2200 dollars.
- Holland Casino Poker Series: fortunately, with 14 locations across the country, the Dutch poker fan has some choice. Bounty, turbo, and multi-day tournaments; There are fun events for every poker player. These tournaments are organized per location, for which the player can register online. During the Poker Series, you can count on a wide range of cash games.
- ONKP and Pokeren.nl Series: Dutch poker players have been able to participate in the ONKP Series for a few years now. These are poker tournaments that are organized throughout the country. Please note that these are tournaments that are mainly aimed at beginners or people who play recreational poker.
- Promotional tournaments: poker tournaments are also regularly organized at smaller gambling facilities in the Netherlands, but they are immediate of a smaller nature. For example, the first prize is often less than 449 dollars. The advantage of this is that no gambling tax has to be paid by the winner.
- World Poker Tour: The World Poker Tour is a series of international poker tournaments for poker pros. The tournaments take place all over the world in the most beautiful locations. The great strength of the World Poker Tour is that anyone who can afford the buy-in (up to $25,000) gets to compete against the best players in the world.
- Aussie Millions: that they also like to gamble in Australia, is once again apparent from the organization of the Aussie Millions. Held at Melbourne’s famed Crown Casino, this is the biggest poker tournament in the Southern Hemisphere. The winner will walk out with an estimated prize pool of around 1.6 million Australian dollars (around 1 million euros).
- European Poker Tour: This is also a series of poker tournaments held across Europe. The grand final will take place in Monte Carlo. The prize money depends on the number of participants. The more, the higher the pot. But for the sake of convenience, assume an amount of at least 6 digits.
- WSOP International Circuit: This is the largest poker tournament in the world. For example, this tournament is held in no fewer than 15 places on earth. The tournament also took place twice in the Netherlands. All winners of the individual tournaments compete for the prize pool of 1 million euros during the Global Casino Championship.
- Battle of Malta: The Battle of Malta naturally takes place in casino destination Malta and every edition is an (even bigger) party. It started in 2012 as a weekend event with 350 players and a prize pool of 150,000 euros. How much is the prize pool now? 1 million dollars. And you get some sun too.
- World Series Of Poker: In recent years, the World Series of Poker Main Event has become the most celebrated poker event in the world. In 2004, this was the first event with a prize pool above $10 million. But that’s nothing compared to the highest prize pool ever. That amounted to no less than 82.5 million dollars.
- Super High Roller Bowl: This is one of the most prestigious poker tournaments on the planet. It is striking that the tournament has only been held for a few years. The first edition took place in 2015. Who will all come to the tournament? How about famous poker players like Fedor Holz, Phil Hellmuth, Daniel Negreanu, Doug Polk, Antonio Esfandiari, and Tony G? More on these players later.