Whether you are a regular at the casino or not, we all dream about winning the jackpot at some point. The word itself already has something magical and that has everything to do with the fact that we relate it to bells, bells, glitter, and everything that has to do with big prices. The average (online) casino visitor is therefore all about the same magic word: jackpot. For many people, it is even an extra reason to participate in a game of chance. Because if we know that the jackpot is once again at record height, then it is suddenly a lot more interesting to participate. After all, we all like to gamble now and then. Although the jackpot is of course not for everyone, there is one big advantage. Jackpots can be found in all kinds of games and therefore we come across them in all kinds of different places. For example, there are jackpots at slot machines in the physical casino, you can win the jackpot at a poker tournament and we encounter them in the lotto. Reason enough to take a closer look at this wonderful world.
What is a Jackpot?
A jackpot is essentially nothing more than an extra high cash prize that can be won in a game of chance. Every time a game of chance is played, part of the bet is set aside in a kind of extra pot: this is added to the so-called jackpot. The big advantage of this setup is that the jackpot does not have to be guaranteed to fall: this way the jackpot can simply remain until the next time when no one has won.
Difference ‘top prize’ and ‘jackpot’
However, the word jackpot is also popularly known for anything that expresses a big prize, just like the word ‘ bingo ‘ does. Did you win a nice prize? Then you’ve hit the ‘jackpot’ or it’s ‘bingo!’ In a figurative sense, the term is also used to indicate an unexpectedly favorable outcome, as well as an unmissable opportunity. However, in theory, a jackpot is not the same as a big prize or a top prize. Illustrative of this is the main prize at the State Lottery, which is always set at a certain amount. In addition to this main prize, there is also a separate pot with money that is exclusively intended as a jackpot. As a result, a separate draw usually applies. As a result, two draws are held, each representing its prize.
What is a Progressive Jackpot?
With a progressive jackpot, we are talking about a prize that keeps increasing as the game is played by more people. Of course, money must be deposited and those bets together ensure that the progressive jackpot continues to rise. With each bet, a portion of this amount is relinquished to the aforementioned pot allocated to the jackpot. With some games, such as online slots, it is common for several games from the same game developer to be linked together. As a result, people worldwide play for the same jackpot.
Where does the name jackpot come from?
For the origin of the word jackpot, we have to go back in time. We will travel to the United States for that. There we end up in the small town of Gardena, which is located just outside Los Angeles. In the 1930s, the poker variant 5-draw poker was mostly played. Although the game barely got a foothold in Europe, the game of poker remained extremely popular in California right up to the 1970s. It is striking that in this variant one may only start if one of the participants has two jacks in his or her hand. As long as no one succeeds, the game cannot start. In the meantime, the ‘pot’ will rise again and show the second half of the word ‘jackpot’. What does the first half of the word refer to? To the farmer, or the ‘jack’. After all, that’s what the jack (from the card game) is called in English. Today, the term jackpot is used everywhere.
Casino games with jackpot
So the origin of the word is as simple as it is entertaining. For the players who love to dream of those coveted jackpots, we have some casino games that are not to be missed. By the way, you don’t only have to think about online games, because how about lotteries, bingo, and even poker? These games also often have a jackpot. The games where you can in any case have a chance to win a jackpot (just check whether that is also the case) are:
As online casino enthusiasts, we cannot ignore the widely loved video slots. This makes video slots the online counterparts of the physical slots, of which the classic slot machines again appeal to the imagination the most. Because slot machines also started to develop online, various game themes would no longer all have the setup and gameplay of a traditional slot machine. We therefore also speak of video slots. However, the goal is often the same as with an average slot machine, namely to ensure as many winning combinations as possible on the so-called pay lines.
Within the magical world of video slots, our attention is mainly focused on the jackpot slots. These are the video slots that have one or more jackpots. A video slot is an online game that is made up of reels that can spin. Multiple jackpots; are you reading that correctly? Of course. Below we tell you what our top 5 jackpot slots are. And that includes games that have no less than 3 jackpot slots.
Top 5 Jackpot Slots:
- Mega Moolah: This production from Microgaming has been stirring things up for years, and it’s not so much due to the extraordinary graphics or original game theme. No, in this game the player is mainly interested in the jackpot. What can it yield? Well, for example, 18.9 million dollars. That amount was won on Sunday, September 29, 2018. And with that, the game developer immediately has a world record.
- Mega Fortune: This game is often mentioned in the same breath as Mega Moolah. Now the name alone immediately suggests that this game can yield a considerable fortune, but luckily this game itself also manages to live up to expectations. In 2017, for example, it raised no less than 30 million euros in jackpots. Playing is on 5 reels and 3 rows and you can travel to an exotic island that is filled with luxury. We almost forgot to tell you that the NetEnt game has 3 (!) jackpots.
- Hall of Gods: This game is also from NetEnt and just like Mega Fortune there are 3 jackpots to be won. In terms of theme, this production is completely different, but the question is whether that will make a big difference to the player. Anyway, the Hall of Gods is all about the gods from Norway. This makes it an entertaining game that takes the player to a mysterious world, where everything and everyone can be forgotten for a while. The game itself also looks great and the payout percentage is a neat 96.5%.
- Arabian Nights: We all know that Arabian Nights can get pretty long and hot, but that is compensated for by a sky-high jackpot in this game. You can try to win these on the 10 pay lines. It will hardly surprise you that this product also comes from game developer NetEnt. The payout percentage is again 96.5%.
- Gladiator: the fact that around 3 million euros have already been won with the video slot Gladiator should be enough reason to convince you. This slot is from Playtech and works with three wild symbols, as well as an attractive jackpot bonus. In this bonus round, you get to see 9 helmets that can be bronze, silver, or gold. Can you conjure up 9 golden helmets? Then the contents of the progressive jackpot are all yours.
The combination between a jackpot and the card game Blackjack may sound a bit crazy at first. We all have our idea of a jackpot and most people will not immediately think of blackjack. Jackpots are often associated with the above video slots, but also, for example, with scratch cards. However, with some blackjack variants, it is also possible to win a so-called blackjack jackpot. We have some examples of blackjack variants for you:
- High Streak Blackjack: in addition to the normal Blackjack game, this game also offers a nice option to place a side bet. You then bet on the possibility of a winning series that can provide great prizes.
- Crazy Blackjack: As with classic blackjack, the goal in Crazy Blackjack is to have more points than the dealer, but of course no more than 21. In addition to the regular bet, Crazy Blackjack also offers a side bet. There is even a side bet where you can win the jackpot of tens of thousands of euros.
- Premier Bonus Blackjack: This variant is played with 2 standard 52 card decks which are shuffled each round. You can play with up to 5 hands at the same time. We are talking about a so-called ‘hole card’ game, in which the dealer is dealt one face-up card and one face-down card. In addition to the normal hands, you can also place a side bet. As a result, there is more tension and the possible profits are also a lot higher.
We also encounter the jackpot in poker. In this case, you should see it as a kind of collected prize, which is formed by charging a certain commission at each gaming table. The amounts of money that are paid for this go into the pot and are made available for the jackpot.
With lotteries, each lottery has its policy on whether or not to include a jackpot in the game. If that is the case, then a separate draw is usually held, as is the case with the aforementioned State Lottery, for example. Other providers may be subject to the condition that a certain number of lots must be sold first. It also regularly happens that jackpots have to be split between multiple winners.
Online jackpot, who pays?
Who pays most winners will usually be a concern. As long as there is payment, is often the thought. Still, it is interesting to know who makes it possible for the jackpots to be paid out in the first place. Of course, we work with the collected bets, but with slots, for example, we see an interesting dichotomy.
First, we have the aforementioned progressive jackpots, which are formed by using a progressive system. For example, it is very common for the jackpots of multiple games from the same developer (say NetEnt) to be linked together. Every bet placed on the individual games linked to that same network contributes to the final jackpot standings. Of course, some games can be played at multiple online casinos. In this case, the payouts are made by the game developer itself and not by the online casino. Some games are part of a series (such as the popular DC Comics series from Playtech) and thus have a shared progressive jackpot.
Of course, there are also jackpots with fixed amounts and therefore without a progressive system. In that scenario, the online casino itself may also be responsible for the payout of the prize. Some jackpots are therefore made available by the operator itself and are therefore casino-dependent. And then you better hope that you play with a reliable provider. Having money in your account is great fun, but you also want to have it deposited into your account in the end. However, it is not only about whether you are paid, but also how that is done. When visiting online casinos you should take into account:
- Reliability: pay attention to conditions such as:
- Country of residence: the country where you reside. For example, the conditions for participation and payouts may differ per country.
- Maximum payouts: per week, month or year. With a maximum payout per week, for example, there is no problem if you win 100 dollars once. Yet it becomes quite difficult if you win 75,000 dollars and the maximum payout turns out to be 1000 euros per week.
- Payment processing: the speed of the payouts; you do not want to wait endlessly for your money due to all kinds of administrative procedures, for example.
Notable jackpot stories
Jackpots are unfortunately not for everyone and that is precisely why a nice profit always makes for a good story. In some cases, however, it becomes very legendary. Here are some notable jackpot stories for you:
Croatian lucky guy gives away jackpot
The life story of the Croatian lucky guy Frane Selaks is so remarkable that it is almost unreal. The lucky guy escaped death 7 times: he survived a train crash, a plane crash, 2 bus accidents, and 3 serious car accidents. As if that wasn’t enough, he decided to give away a jackpot of no less than 800,000 dollars to friends and family. In addition, in 2010 he even gave away all his assets. He moved from a private island to his familiar cottage in the small town of Petrinja. With his last money, he bought an artificial hip and would have an altar of Mary built.
Canadian is 7 seconds late for a million-dollar amount
Canadian Joel Ifergan bought two tickets for the Lotto Super 7 Draw on May 23, 2008. He did so at 8:59 PM, exactly one minute before the deadline. However, his first ticket was printed for the May 23 draw, but his second ticket was printed at 9:01:07 PM and therefore counted towards the next May 30 draw. Unfortunately, that second lottery ticket would have brought in $27 million, albeit not because this lot was printed 7 seconds late. To make matters worse, he was on time with his application, but the printing system took a few seconds longer, causing him to slip away his million-dollar prize. Ifergan would spend on top of that 100,000 dollars in legal costs, to no avail.
2 brothers win slightly different amounts
James and Bob Stocklas are two brothers who both decided to place their bets on the world-famous Powerball lottery. They both bought a lottery ticket in Florida and that would earn them both a prize. However, those prices varied widely. Bob won only $7, while James managed to bring in a whopping $291 million. He had won the jackpot. Still, the brothers could laugh about it and James already indicated that Bob need not worry. After all, they remain brothers and James is right in our opinion: what do you do with 291 million dollars on your own?